Tuesday, March 27, 2012

three.

Y'all.

This week? It's insane.

And not just because I started a new blog and a new healthy eating plan (I refuse to call it a diet but that's a discussion for its own post).

Other than the panel in place of my normal class, Monday was fairly normal. I came home from my last class and thought, I'll make a smoothie! I hadn't had my snack for the day so I thought that would make the perfect time. I pulled out my blender and in went all the ingredients. Feeling pleased as punch I pressed blend.

"Whir whir whir!" the blender said a little too loudly. Seriously though. That thing is deafening. When it's running you could drop an atomic bomb and I wouldn't hear it.

Then the blender said "clunk. Clunk. Clunk." Then silence. Absolute, utter silence. Even my parakeets were quiet. If you've ever owned parakeets you know how rare that is.

I took the blender off its base. I put it back on facing a different way. Nothing. I unplugged and replugged it. Nothing. I hit the reset button on the outlet. Nothing. So I resorted to staring at the blender with my hands on my hips.

AHA! I thought. I'm graduating from law school in May; surely I can think my way out of any problem!!

Turns out that's not true. Turns out my law degree will not grant me magical culinary genius powers in addition to my J.D. Which is technically a doctorate. Just FYI. I know, I'm disappointed too. I tried placing the ingredients in my food processor in hopes that I could somehow still get to smoothie form.

Word of advice: food processors don't make beverages. They don't make things even remotely close to them.

Having not been able to think my way out of this quandary I abandoned the whole smoothie idea and settled on a small parfait using largely the same ingredients.

Today was even more exciting: I had jury duty. Okay so maybe it wasn't that exciting. Thankfully I didn't have to spend a long time waiting for my number to be called. Instead I spent the day just settling in to a movie before getting called to another courtroom.

At first we were told lunch was at 12:30. Then the judge said, just kidding it's at 12:45. Then she said, by 12:45 I meant 1. Okay maybe she didn't say it quite like that.

Obviously a parfait would not have held up so I hadn't brought one. What's a girl on a plan to do when she can't bring her lunch and can't get the equivalent of the lunch she had planned??

Easy!

Swap lunch for dinner!!

I determined that I would amble my way slowly to the harbor and stop at something that caught my fancy. I passed a small place that offered salads, wraps and a variety of other disconnected options. They combined everything in a bowl then either wrapped it in a wrap or just placed it in plastic and handed it to you. One man's meal was drenched with broth after it was prepared. Not really sure what was going on in that bowl to be honest.  Miraculously they had every one of the ingredients I had planned for my salad. I was as happy as a pig in mud. I sat outside (it was sooo pretty out) and felt quite pleased at my choice. I have to say, I liked finding a healthy option in a pinch. It was like a little scavenger hunt!

As if a broken blender and one day of jury duty wasn't enough, I was actually selected to sit on a jury. I apologize in advance if I'm MIA for the next two days--I'll be busy juror-ing, which is a highly technical term that they don't teach you until your second year of law school. At least.

Totally kidding.

I'm pretty sure juror-ing is not a word.

But hey, I'm (almost) a lawyer. That CLEARLY gives me the ability to make up words then claim that they're legal terms. Duh.

I think I need to sleep now.

1 comment:

  1. Ok so what do you expect from a $20.00 blender bought by me in a pinch! Then "lovingly" given to you (PS I know how loud it is!). Time to begin blender shopping... PS they are rather costly! Hugs dear!

    ReplyDelete