Thursday, March 29, 2012

Running with Ginger: 1

I want to introduce you to Ginger, my ever faithful running buddy. Ginger comes with me on every run. Sometimes she's on my right and sometimes she's on my left. Hey, I don't want to get an armband tan.

Ginger, in case you were wondering, is my iPhone.

Throughout our runs, Ginger and I have sampled a number of different running apps. I want to take today to review one of those apps with you!

Today's app is Zombies, Run!.

Zombies, Run! is one part game, one part running app. I'm not normally into the whole zombie thing but this app is addictive. I mean, seriously addictive.

The basic premise is that you're in post-zombie apocalypse England. You're one of the few remaining humans and in order to keep your township, Able Township, alive you have to run missions. Turns out gas stations aren't that common in post-zombie apocalypse England.

The first mission you complete is called Jolly Alpha Five Niner. This mission provides you a very sketchy overview of the game. You also receive your identity while running the mission; from that point forward you get to be Runner 5. Several of the other key characters are introduced in this mission.  If you successfully complete the mission, you unlock more missions to run in the future.

Cons
There are a few things I dislike about the app.

Foremost is the fact that you can't really see your runs after you complete them. You get a brief screen that details how far you ran, how long it took you and what your average pace was. But once you exist that screen you don't get to see it again unless you take a picture of it. I would love to compare past runs but I just don't have that option if I forget to get a screen cap the instant I finish.

Second, I dislike the fact that you don't really know how long a mission is going to be before you start out on it. At the same time, I do like that about the app. It keeps you more on your toes and invested in the game instead of just getting through the miles or time allotted to the mission. It does make planning rather difficult so make sure to clear plenty of time for your run.

Pros
There are a couple of things I love about this app.

First, the zombie chases. Oh my goodness. These are so fun.  Periodically, and largely without warning, you get chased by zombies. The app will tell you how close the zombies are to you and the zombie noises grow louder and louder. The zombie noises are unbelievably realistic; they almost frighten me at times. The best part of the chases? If you don't actually run faster the zombies close in on you. There were a few times where I've had to break into a dead sprint to outrun the zombies, or zoms as the game refers to them. If you'd rather not have the chases on, you can turn them off. Do heed the app and watch out for traffic while running. I have to admit I've been so desperate to run away from the zoms that I almost ran over people on the street. I know. It's embarrassing.

That leads me to another favorite aspect of the app: how involved it is. The app is truly a complete package. It's not just random zombie chases. The creators do a really good job of creating an entire story line that you invest in as you run. For example, I adore Sam. Sam is the communications operator in the game so he's the one you hear from the most. The app also doesn't reveal everything about the characters up front. I'm still not sure who I am or who sent me to Abel Township. I think I may actually be a bad guy which makes me nervous. The sound effects are amazing which also keeps you invested.

My third favorite thing is related to the second: you don't know when Sam or another character is going to break in or when the zoms are going to show up. You can incorporate your own music into the app. If you chose to do so, when a character isn't speaking to you or you aren't being chased the app will play tracks from your chosen playlist. Sometimes you'll go for several songs and almost forget that you're running a mission. Other times tehy break in frequently. It all keeps you on your toes so that you never get too comfortable or bored with the app.

Fourth, the runs are all different. Not only is your mission different, the lengths and distances are different as well. Some are longer and more intense, others are easier. Like in my third favorite thing about the app, this keeps you from experiencing too much boredom while running.

Miscellaneous

The app has an option for running indoors on a treadmill. Unfortunately I don't think the chases work on a treadmill. I haven't actually tried it out yet so I can't say much about how well this feature works.

As you run, you collect supplies to bring back to the township. You don't have to do anything about these objects but when you finish you can distribute them around the camp and increase the size of your township.

Conclusion
I highly recommend this app. I LOVE it. Yes it's $8. But trust me--it's worth every penny. The app is best suited for those who are less concerned with tracking every single mile, every single split, etc. If you're interested in keeping your runs exciting and playful I recommend Zombies, run! for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment