Wednesday, October 10, 2012

[stewarding]

Lately I've experienced a bit of a shift in viewpoints.

My whole life I've been massively unconcerned about money. It really didn't have much meaning to me. Since I didn't really ascribe much meaning to it, I was too quick to spend it. After all there'd always be more, right?

Here's an example to illustrate the way I used to think about money. Let's say I went grocery shopping with $100 worth of grocery money. I'd only spend $60 of the money. I'd drop my groceries in my apartment and head straight to the mall to spend the remaining $40. But when I got to the mall I'd find $50 worth of clothes that I really wanted. Let's be real: $10 isn't that much over $40. So I'd spend $50. Then I'd pick up dinner on the way home, cause what's another $15?

I think we can all agree that attitude is just a recipe for disaster. Naturally, rent or other bills would come due and I'd be short. So I'd stress. I'd cry, lose sleep and eat poorly. I'd cancel plans with friends and generally crash and burn.

I know we're called to be good stewards as Christians. But for years I thought that only applied to the environment and our physical bodies. I mean, how much did God really care about money? Sure there was the parable of the servants that were given coins by their master. The servant that was praised was the one that multiplied the money he was given. But that was just about using our talents and skills, right?

I mean if being a good steward applies to money, then surely it just applies to the wealthy. I mean, those with money to spare are called to share their wealth and use it to advance His kingdom.

It turns out that I was wrong.

Being a good steward also means being financially responsible, regardless of how much money you have. You could be scraping by or raking in buckets full of money. It turns out that the parable was also speaking about money.

So I've been taking steps to change my approach to my finances.

Remember that example earlier?? Well that actually happened last Saturday. But here's how it went down:

I went to the grocery store to buy my groceries for the month. I'm trying to limit the number of times I set foot in a grocery store each month; I was buying far more than I really needed. Much of what I bought went to waste, as did the money I spent on it. I estimated it would cost me about $100. It only cost me $62.

Wanna know what I did with the other $38?

Nothing. I saved it.

For once in my adult life I saved it.

But that's not the only change I've made.

I've been leaving my debit card at home when I go to work. The 7-11 in the lobby proved too tempting and $2 here and there adds up when you're doing it at least twice a day for 5 days a week.

Instead of shopping on my day off work Monday I tackled a home improvement project that I've been meaning to do for a month (more on that soon--I still have a bit of work to do before it's all done and ready to be shared!).

Every morning when I wake up I read a bit from my devotional while my coffee brews. This morning the devotional was all about the fact that we're called to be good stewards. And you know what the devotional talked about? The fact that everything on earth, including manmade creations, really belongs to God.

Including manmade creations.

Like money.

I think that qualifies as confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Hey, if I can get my weight back under control (I'm wearing single digit pant sizes again for the first time in 7+ years!), I can get my attitude toward money under control too.


Image from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment