I was wrong.
This week I had a little gain. Not a whole pound, but a gain none the less.
Gains happen and like my tracker said this morning, they're a natural part of the weight-loss journey.
They're also an important learning tool.
One of my favorite quotes is by Samuel Beckett:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
It may sound depressing but in actuality there's something uplifting about the message in that quote. You're going to fail. You're human. What matters is not that you failed, but instead that you tried again despite having failed. You may not get it right the next time but you'll get a little better with each attempt.
Last week was stressful for me. As a result of my emotional distress I fell back on some bad habits. I also found a trigger for my poor eating habits: insecurity. When I feel threatened or insecure I turn automatically to food. It's the only time I really get overwhelming cravings. And in that moment of weakness it's too easy to confuse those cravings with actual hunger.
So yes, I gained a little bit of weight this week. But I also gained a little wisdom. Once I figured out the source of my overeating I was able to deal with the actual issue and get back on track.
At the end of the day this gain does not spell defeat. I'm not giving up on my goal (more about that later this week) just because I gained a fraction of a pound. No instead I'm putting my feet back underneath me and hitting the ground running.
Here's to a little failing better everyday. One of these days, those failures will turn into a success. Like Thomas Edison said,
"I haven't failed. I've found a thousand ways that don't work."Also please excuse my self-photography skills. Like my weight-loss journey, it's a work in progress.
Skirt: Syms
Shell: Macy's
Cardigan: LOFT
Bracelets: LOFT
Necklace, earrings: gift


No comments:
Post a Comment