I come bearing new photos today!!
My heart was broken on Wednesday. I mean absolutely broken for the state of so many in our nation. I mean I've seen the Biggest Loser and my 600 Pound Life. But those are TV shows. And even if the people are really that large, the fact that I'm not around them in my daily life makes it seem somehow isolated and distant.
 |
| Breakfast: apple pecan pilaf |
On Wednesday, the heartbreak I felt watching shows about obesity hit home in a powerful way. As I mentioned, I had jury duty this week. The jury room was one flight of stairs up from the courtroom. We were sent up and down the stairs multiple times during the day. Every time we were sent back up the stairs, close to half the jury would be panting. By the end of the day, several jurors were complaining that they were sore.
One flight.
One.
If it was three or four flights I would understand. But this was barely even one flight.
 |
| Lunch: Citrus salmon salad |
Seeing that level of struggle only reinforced the importance of what I'm doing here. I never ever ever want to be winded after a single flight of stairs. My mission is so much bigger than just looking good. I want to be healthy. I don't want to be short of breath unless I'm on a run or doing some sort of exercise. I want to be able to always do tasks as basic as walking up a flight of stairs.
There's more to my mission though than just my own health. I hope that maybe just one person struggling with their weight and health will come across this blog and be inspired to get healthy. I want people to know how doable this is on your own. I don't have a personal trainer. I don't work out 5 hours a day. I don't have a nutritionist. None of those things are bad. They're just not realistic for many overweight or obese people like myself.
 |
| Dinner: turkey pita "pizza" |
What do I have? A book. Most importantly, I have Jesus. And I have motivation and drive. That's all you really need. Don't just wish you would be skinny. Don't just desire to lose weight. Your motivation and drive have to cross over into action. I found this week that there's a switch that flips once you truly get started. Suddenly being healthy becomes more important than having food be your BFF. This truly is a mental game. This takes common sense, patience and a good amount of forgiveness.
So hang in there. Stay strong. And know there are always people out there that will support you. If those around you aren't on board, I'm here for you. Always.
Also: look at this mutant pepper. I'm pretty sure it has a tumor.
Weird, right??
Outfit: Talbots jeans, Gap shirt, H&M jacket
just wanted to say thanks: you motivated me to work out after i got home from work today! i walk about 1 1/2- 2 miles every day just going to & from work (not counting the crazy errands i run at work) and i rarely want to work out when i get home. but today, even with a hurt toe, i did some strength training exercises for a half hour when i got back because i read your blog on the train on my way home. so thanks for being such an inspiration! :)
ReplyDelete