I wanted to share with you some things I've learned so far on this journey. I'll be focusing mostly on exercise today.
The most important thing about losing weight? Do what works for you.
Let's start with exercise. First, pick a time of day that works best for you. Try out different times: morning, afternoon and evening. Try different things within a time of day. For example, try working out before breakfast one day and after breakfast another. Try working out when you first get home from work or school. Try working out later in the evening too. Just try different things until you find what fits you best. I know there are all these arguments that you should work out in the morning instead of the evening but what good is forcing yourself to work out in the morning if you're going to hate every second of it and lack motivation to do it again tomorrow?? It doesn't matter what time of day you exercise if you're not going to do it.
That brings me to another point about exercise. Second, find an activity that works for you. I love running. It feels kind of like flying. It makes me feel alive and free. But if running's not your thing then find something else! I highly recommend trying an activity a few times before making a decision. Sometimes we go into things with preconceived notions that color our experience. If after your second or third try you still loathe it, drop the activity and move on. In college I tried kick boxing. I thought I would love it. I hated it. Hated it. Turns out you need rhythm for kick boxing which I lack. I was a hot mess the whole class and felt like I spent the entire time trying to get caught up. At the same time I have a friend that hated yoga but kept sampling different types of yoga practice. She found one that she liked after a few tries. Once again, if you hate something then you're not going to do it again. No matter how good it is for you, if you don't do it then it won't matter. There's something else to keep in mind here too: when picking what exercises you want to stick with, make sure to give a lot of consideration to how the workout makes you feel when you're done. I hate doing strength training DVD's like Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength when I'm doing it. I loathe it. But afterwards I feel so amazing. It's that afterwards that keeps you coming back for more.
Third, keep it fresh!! Even if you find an exercise or two that works for you, keep trying new things. THis will keep you from getting bored. It will also keep your muscles on their toes so to speak which is exactly what you want. Even if you're training for something specific like a half marathon, cross training is super important. You don't want to overwork or overtire one particular muscle group.
At the end of the day exercise is a lot like personal style: just because something is "in" right now doesn't mean that you should follow the trend. If skinny jeans look wrong on you don't wear them. If doing a bootcamp in the evening is wrong for you don't do it. There's another way exercise is a lot like personal style: you have to try it on first. You don't know skinny jeans look bad on you until you try a few different pairs on. Likewise you don't know that doing bootcamp in the evening is wrong for you until you try it out. It may be the fit of that particular type of jeans or that particular bootcamp instructor that isn't working for you. Try a few things on but know when to say when.
Fourth, HAVE FUN! Exercise should be fun and enjoyable so think outside the box. Grab your camera and go walk around somewhere new and take some pictures. Play with your kids on the playground. Go for sight seeing via bike instead of car. Walk to the grocery store. Walk home with your groceries. You don't have to be tied to the gym or even a set of dumbbells at home to get a workout in.
Fifth, recruit friends. One of my best runs was the one I did with my sister. Working out with a friend motivates you to work harder. Maybe have a little friendly competition!! Even if you'd rather workout solo make sure your friends and family support you. Mom lives in Atlanta so she can't workout with me. But it means the world to me to hear her say she's proud of me for working out hard. Knowing that my friends are motivated to work out because they read posts here similarly inspires me. You don't have to start a blog; just start talking to a friend!! I personally prefer blogging because I love writing. Writing is honestly one of my passions. Plus I love having a platform that I can use to inspire and motivate others. Y'all also keep me real and encourage me to keep working.
It may feel weird to ask someone to support you but do it do it do it. You cannot do this without support. Even though you ultimately have to do the work, you need moral and emotional support. Humans are by nature social creatures. To quote Mom: you are not an island. Those around you impact your actions and you impact the actions of those around you. Not all your friends and family have to be fitness obsessed or super healthy. But you do need a few that won't let you back down, a few that aren't afraid to ask you how you're doing and push you when you're not motivated.
Get out there and try something new kids!!
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment