Sunday, April 22, 2012

[6.2]

Yesterday was quite the milestone and it could not have come at a better time.

The past week I struggled emotionally. As my emotions spiraled out of control, so did my eating. I went back to a lot of old habits.

After lunch with a friend on Thursday I was feeling significantly better. Friday, Mom came to visit me here in Baltimore!! Even though I didn't get to see her Friday night I was so excited she made it.

Bright and early Saturday morning I got up, put on my running clothes and grabbed a banana on the way to meet Mom at her hotel. After getting her a latte and some oatmeal at Starbucks we hopped a cab down to Locus Point.

I was going to run my first 10k!!

I have to admit, I was not as prepared as I should have been. I was so nervous I dreamed about the race the night before.

If there's something I love about running in races, it's the atmosphere before and after. There's just so much excitement and energy at the start gate especially. It's almost electric. Once you start running the energy follows you. Being in a pack of runners makes me run harder than I do when I'm on my own. I want to keep up with my fellow runners which sometimes leads to an awkward tension between setting an appropriate pace and staying with the crowd. Usually I stick to my pace and just let the crowd motivate me to keep running even after I want to quit.

The other wonderful part of running in races? The support along the course. There are spectators and race volunteers around the course cheering you on even if you're not doing well. They tell you you're doing a good job and to keep going. Running, though an individual sport, is still a collective one. You feed off the crowd, the other runners.

Saturday's course was wonderful, as was our weather. Even though rain was predicted, the foul weather held off until after dinner. During the race it was in the mid 70's and sunny without much humidity. We ran around the Inner Harbor and through Federal Hill. We ran down tree lined streets lined with adorable red brick row houses. We ran along a beautiful waterfront. For all its flaws, Baltimore is scenic (we just need to get the crime under control). Thankfully there weren't too many hills involved. I finished in 1:26:33. In my heart I know that had I trained harder I would have done better.

But you know what?

I did it.

And that my friends, is all that matters to me right now.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of work to do before I level up to a half marathon. I'll run another 5k and at least one more 10k before I get there.

For me, running is about doing something that I never thought I could. A year ago I would have heard about the race and thought, one day I'll do that too. I would have gone for a 15 minute run and given up later this week.

Not anymore. Over the course of one year, I went from barely being able to run a block to finishing my first 10k. I ran the first half and some of the second half but I have to admit, that second half was rough. But I did it. I saved just enough energy to run the final stretch. And tackle Mom, which I'm pretty sure she didn't really appreciate. I was quite sweaty; in fact my sunglasses are still stained with sweat. I'll have to take soap to them later today. Thankfully Mom was there to guide me to the water and bananas. Something about running just makes me crave bananas.

Turns out, accomplishing something was just what I needed.

1 comment:

  1. Mommysoproudofyou!! I had a blast with you this weekend! I couldn't be more proud!! Love you dear.

    ReplyDelete