But oh my goodness was it worth it. Saturday was worth the last two sleepless nights. As a side note, don't burn the top of your thighs and your back at the same time. It makes sleeping, well, impossible.
But like I said, it was worth it.
Tuesday night Katy asked if I had plans. I didn't. So we started making plans for a little road trip. We were Delaware bound on Saturday!!
Since I've been in Baltimore I haven't done too much exploring. The truth is, I got so caught up in school that my weekends were close to non-existent. But now that school is over and a dear friend and serial escapist is living less than an hour away, I have a feeling that many more trips will be happening in the future.
Our day started super early. Naturally our day also started with some Starbucks. No one should be on the road around 7:30 AM without some good coffee.
We took backroads through Delaware, making a bathroom stop in a small town. As a bonus, I saw this beauty of a car:
I know. It's just so pretty isn't it??
After driving through endless farms, we arrived in Milton, Delaware. Milton is the home of Dogfish Head Brewery, which is a craft brewery. The tours were all full for the day. We figured we'd still hit the tasting room, even if we couldn't make a tour. The taps didn't open until 11 so we wandered around the store. When I popped out of the bathroom, Katy was talking to the guy checking people in. Turns out, she'd gotten us in to a modified tour! We didn't get the full history of Dogfish Head, but that's okay. It was my first ever brewery tour so I was excited just to get behind the scenes of how beer is brewed, even if I had to wear Crocs and ugly safety glasses in the process.
The tour ended with a tasting. We tried four different types of beer. I have to say, I am now a huge Dogfish Head fan. I wasn't familiar with their beers before the tour.
After the tour we traveled ten minutes down the road to Lewes Beach, where we both proceeded to lay down in the sand and conk out for about an hour and a half. After that, we sat around for another hour having some girl talk. By then it was close to three and we realized that we had only eaten an apple since breakfast. Since we had two more beaches to hit, we headed onwards to our next beach.
Rehoboth Beach was up next. It was cute, but far too crowded. We decided to skip over it and head on to Bethany Beach for an early dinner. Bethany was darling. It definitely felt smaller and quieter than the other two beaches. We ambled the boardwalk and the beach, and finally ended up at a table overlooking the beach with mango margaritas in hand.
After a bit more ambling around, we hopped back in the car to find a good spot to watch the sunset. We ended up parking near a campground in a town called Land of Pleasant Living. I kid you not. And living there would certainly be pleasant living. I mean, just look at that sunset:
Beautiful, isn't it??
After that the only natural thing to do was get gelato! We headed back to Rehoboth where we encountered a massive ice cream fail. First we circled the main drag of Rehoboth. There was not a single parking spot to be found. Plus, it took forever since everybody and their brother was in Rehoboth ambling around the streets. Finally we found a spot a good hike outside of the main area. Undeterred by the distance, we parked anyways. Katy went to pay the meter and made a little discovery: the meter only took quarters. Between the two of us, we only had one quarter. We wanted gelato, but not badly enough to risk a parking ticket. Katy pulled out her phone and found a gelato spot a bit away from the main drag. We hopped back in the car and headed towards Gelato Gal. Unfortunately, we found out that Gelato Gal was on the wrong side of the road and the median wouldn't let us turn around for a while. When we got to the turnaround, we decided that we wanted gelato badly enough to turn around. It was completely worth turning around for. I had an amazing amaretto that I'm still dreaming about. Yum.
Since it was close to 9 PM, we headed back towards Baltimore.
Sometimes you just really need to get away for a while. And boy oh boy am I glad we did.







So you forgot my only advice... "Don't forget your sunscreen..." What an awesome day for you both!! Love you!!
ReplyDelete