Friday night, Rachel and I hit one of the many segments of Artscape: the vendors!! Artists from all over Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and other nearby states have booths where they sell their work. I snagged business cards from every booth that I found interesting. I grew up going to arts fairs with my parents and I always LOVED them. Thankfully this isn't the 90's anymore so all of the artists have Etsy shops where you can purchase their goods for the same price as you would buy them in the booth. Now I have a small collection of cards for future art purchases :).
The booths are so fun. There are t-shirts, sculptures made entirely out of metal forks and necklaces made from vintage typewriter keys. There were paintings done entirely with nail polish and elaborate blown glass sculptures.
Saturday Rachel and I hit the rest of Artscape. No seriously--it's that big. It took us probably 4-5 hours to see the entirety of it and we only stopped to watch a performance on one of the three or four stages scattered around the festival.
First up on Saturday were the art exhibits:
True confession: I have no idea what that last thing is. It appeared to be some sort of stage but there was no explanation for it and no one that appeared to be manning it. The whole thing was made out of palettes and people were signing it with Sharpies. So yes. There's that.
A little further up the street were tons of fun cars:
Fun fact: they can all still be driven! I actually saw one driving around downtown yesterday. There was a candelabra attached to the top of the one I saw downtown; I was quite concerned that someone would end up speared by it. Mom was car shopping that day so I texted her pictures of several of the cars saying that I had found some fun options for her.
We took a break for some yummy street food and of course a little booze in the form of crushes. Rachel picked an orange crush and I picked a watermelon one. The crushes are essentially juice, club soda and vodka. Mine had chunks of watermelon in it!! They were sooo good but they made drinking through a straw near impossible. Eventually I ditched the straw all together.
We also stopped to see a bit of a performance by the Baltimore Rock Opera Society. I had never heard of them but they are super fun. BROS essentially performs plays with rock songs interspersed throughout. No they're not quite musicals. Instead of the cast breaking into song and dance, they'll just start playing instruments and rocking out on stage. At Artscape they were trying to summon the party god:
I can say for sure that I will be back at Artscape next year if I'm still in Baltimore (which I'm pretty sure I will be). If you're ever in the area during Artscape, make sure to check it out!
I also apologize for the photo quality--it was raining all weekend so I didn't bring my good camera. All of these photos were taken using the lovely Ginger phone.









No comments:
Post a Comment